Is it time to freshen up your Jeep’s off-roading capabilities? A well-chosen lift kit can turn even the most docile of compacts into a competent rough and tumble machine. This is an excellent upgrade for drivers who want a more capable vehicle but have no intention of changing out their drivetrain.
However, with the wide variety in quality and cost between different companies, it can be difficult to find one that offers a good balance cost to performance. In this article we are going to look at the average cost of lifting a jeep Cherokee and the available options, lets find out more.
In short, the average cost of lifting a jeep Cherokee is $500, the prices vary from $300-700 depending on the type of lift you opt for and labor costs. We will look at each lift option available for your Jeep xj.
Can a Jeep Cherokee be lifted?
The short answer is yes, a Jeep Cherokee can be lifted. The XJ Cherokee derives its very name from its longer wheelbase and greater ground clearance than typical compacts. This makes it one of the most popular vehicles for off-roading.
Can you lift a Jeep Cherokee 2 inches?
A common question for jeep owners is whether it is possible to lift a jeep Cherokee 2 inches, well this depends on the amount of lift you are planning on installing. a 2-inch lift is common and most Cherokee owners opt for it if you don’t want to get the Cherokee too high and save up most costs.
Can you lift a Jeep Cherokee 3 inches?
Yes, you can lift a Cherokee 3” it is recommended that you install new coils,leafs, and shocks if you are planning to lift your jeep 3” because if you don’t your jeep will sag.
Can you lift a Jeep Cherokee 4 inches?
Technically yes, but I wouldn’t recommend it. If you are planning on lifting your jeep Cherokee 4” you will have to install aftermarket coil springs and shocks as the OEM ones will most likely be too weak to support the weight. 4-inch lift is too high and risky which can cause mechanical failure in your jeep Cherokee if not done right.
How much does it cost to lift a Jeep Cherokee?
The cost of a lift kit is dependent on a few factors, the first being what your budget is. You can find jeep lift kits for as little as $300 depending on the brand and quality, up to around $700 for well-engineered kits. The second is the type of lift you go for, we discussed earlier that a 2-inch lift is common and economical.
Factors affecting the cost of lifting a Jeep Cherokee
- Model: The make and model of your vehicle will affect the price of your lift kit, you can find lifts for jeeps for as little as $300 and up to a Jeep xj + Cherokee at around $700.
- The amount of lift: The amount of lift will also affect the price. A 2-inch lift is common and easy to install, so it is cheaper than a 3-inch or 4-inch lift kit.
- The brand: You can find lift kits from as little as $300 dollars up to $700 dollars depending on the company you go with, and also how much you are willing to spend.
- The lift height: The lift height will also affect the price. If you are going for a 2-inch lift then it will cost around $500 dollars. For more than that, you can spend up to $700 dollars.
- The type of kit: You can choose from coil spring kits, leaf spring kits, and body lift kits. If you are going to install a 2-inch lift then coil spring lift kits are available for around $300 dollars. A 4-inch lift will cost up to $700 dollars.
- Other options: other options can also affect the price. You might need to spend more to get new shocks, new axles, and new coil springs.
- The off-road accessories: If you are planning on installing aftermarket parts such as skid plates, a winch mount, or a bigger gas tank, then you will have to spend more on the lift kit for your jeep Cherokee xj.
Available Lift options for Jeep Cherokee
Coil Spring Lift
If you don’t want to make a big dent in your budget you can opt for a coil spring lift. A coil spring lift will give you a good improvement in off-road performance and don’t cost too much. You will also be able to ride off-road like you would in a lifted vehicle.
Leaf Spring Lift
If you want to ride on dirt regularly and are looking for a budget lift then I suggest you go with a leaf spring lift. The leaf spring lift will give you the ability to go off-road without taking your jeep Cherokee too high. You can also choose to install coil springs on top of the leaf if you would like a little more lift.
Since the Cherokee is a unibody vehicle, a body lift can’t be used. You can use a suspension lift instead. The Jeep Cherokee body is attached to the frame so it makes it impossible to do a body lift on a Cherokee xj
Long Arm Lift
Longarm lifts are the most expensive, but also the best. A long arm lift for a Jeep Cherokee is an excellent choice for those who want a great off-road suspension. The long arm lift will give you the ability to clear larger obstacles with ease. and for daily driving is one of the best options.
Short Arm lift
A short arm lift is similar to the typical leaf spring lift. It’s the same in that it doesn’t change the wheelbase and gives a decent amount of lift. If you are planning on doing a lot of rock crawling and don’t want to lift your Cherokee more than 3 inches then this is another option to consider.
How long will it take to lift a Cherokee xj?
The time it takes to lift your jeep will depend on how much lift you have, if you are going with a coil spring lift then it will take about 2 hours on average it takes 3-4 hours.