Are you having problems with your Jeep Wrangler radio and want to find out how to do a Jeep Wrangler radio reset, then you are in right place.
In this article, I am going to be exploring why this problem happens and how you can fix it. Jeep Wrangler radios have been known to act up from time to time.
Whether you have the older radio systems or have the more advanced UConnect system, we will be showing you how you can fix this problem by doing a rest.
There are several ways of doing a radio rest in a Jeep Wrangler. Some of the methods we will describe here will work on both an older style radio as well as on more advanced UConnect systems.
Jeep Wrangler Stock Radio Problems
Jeep Wrangler owners have, over the years have experienced problems with their radios. In older systems, this includes things like the radio sound skipping and, in some cases, not switching on altogether.
These problems can be traced to a number of possible causes ranging from blown fuses, software problems or unstable connections. We are going to show you a few methods of resetting your radio and possibly fix the problem.
How to Reset the Radio on a Jeep Wrangler
Let’s take a look at some of these methods now.
- Turn ignition to ON
- Switch radio on
- Wait 10 seconds and turn the radio off
- Press and hold the power button until the radio resets
If this method fails, you can also try the following method:
- Disconnect the negative terminal on your car battery for 5 minutes or more
- Reconnect the battery
- Radio will reset and may ask for a code
- Enter vehicle-specific code found in the manual or a sticker inside the glove compartment
- Enter the code and the system will be activated.
- Press voice and phone buttons at the same time for 10 to 20 seconds
- Radio will reboot and reset
In some instances, the problem needs you to remove the radio from the dash and physically reset a chip inside the radio itself. This is a more complex approach and will require you to have some basic DIY skills.
Removing the radio involves removing the whole dash panel first from your Jeep. This process needs you to know what you are doing otherwise you will end up causing more harm than good to your Jeep and radio.
Resetting a UConnect System
If your Jeep has a newer UConnect system the reset method will be slightly different. You can use method 2 as described above if the other methods we will describe don’t work.
The methods will vary depending on the UConnect system and firmware you are running. When it comes to the UConnect system, the problems you experience will vary.
They range from software issues all the way to physical damage so you will need to understand the nature of the problem first before attempting to fix it.
- Press the upper right corner of your UConnect screen until the screen shows your vehicle logo
- The screen will go dark for a couple of seconds
- The screen will then show your vehicle logo again
- At this point, you would have finished resetting your UConnect system
Works with UConnect 730N (Soft Reset)
- Hold down phone and voice recognition buttons on the steering wheel for 30 seconds
- Release the buttons and turn off the ignition
- Open driver side door and leave it open for 30 seconds
- Close the door and turn the ignition on and your system will rest
Works with UConnect 8.4 System
- Put Jeep in Park and in “run” mode
- Press and hold down volume and tuner buttons for 10 to 20 seconds
- The screen will show your Jeep trim logo and go dark
- The screen will switch on again showing your trim Logo
- At this point your system is rest
Full Factory Reset
Sometimes, fixing the problem will need a full factory reset. If you have any settings that you may have programmed into your UConnect, they will be deleted and your system will roll back to the original firmware state. Here are the steps for a full factory reset:
- Hold down hot and cold buttons until the menu comes up
- Select rest radio
- The select reset factory default
- Your UConnect will reset to the factory default
In most cases, either of the methods outlined above will reset you UConnect system and should fix your problem. Frozen Screen on UConnect Sometimes the screen on your UConnect will not respond at all.
This could point to a software glitch or could be a hardware issue that requires you to replace the touch screen on your UConnect. Another common problem is that your UConnect system will be stuck on the boot screen and not going any further. For both of these problems, try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes or more.
This allows the power stored up in capacitors and other components to completely drain out. Reconnect the battery and the system should reset.
Take it to the Dealership When all the methods outlined here fail to correct your problem, you will need to take it into the dealership to that diagnose the cause and get it fixed.
Sometimes the problem may need a firmware upgrade or replacement of some hardware. It may cost you some money but it will probably be less than the potential damage and time investment in trying to do it on your own.