A Jeep Compass is a compact SUV first introduced into the market in 2007 and was wildly successful. It’s a great car for those who need an SUV that can tow but doesn’t have all of the space or money required by larger models. While the Jeep Compass is certainly capable of towing, there are some limitations to how much it can tow. In this article, I will talk about the towing capacity of a Jeep Compass.
Jeep Compass Towing Capacity
The Jeep Compass is currently in its second generation, the first generation ran from 2007-2017 with facelifts in between and the current generation is from 2017-2022. Let’s look at the towing capacity for both generations
Jeep Compass (First Gen) Towing Capacity:
The Jeep Compass has a maximum towing capacity of 1,000 lbs, which is less than average for the class but enough for light-duty use such as hauling camping gear or small boats.
Jeep Compass (Second Gen) Towing Capacity:
The towing capacity of the second-gen (2017-2022 compass has improved from 1,000 lbs to 2000 lbs , which is a decent increase in towing capacity.
The Jeep Compass has a maximum towing capacity of 2,000 lbs in its second generation and is capable of pulling small trailers like utility carts or cargo trailers.
What Can a Jeep Compass Pull?
Here are examples of some of the things that a Jeep compass is capable of towing,
1. Small Size Boat:
The Jeep Compass is capable of pulling small boats that don’t weigh more than 2,000 lbs. There are plenty of small boats available on the market, so this shouldn’t be an issue. You can easily find a small boat that fits within the Jeep Compass towing capacity and tow it around with ease.
2. A Utility Trailer:
If you would like to pull a utility trailer then you will be happy to hear that a Compass can easily tow that, as long the maxim mum combined weight of the trailer and cargo is no more than 2,000 lbs. The Jeep Compass has a towing capacity of up to 2,000 lbs., which means that you can tow a utility trailer with ease.
3. 2-4 Kayaks:
Another example of what a Compass can tow is 2-4 kayaks. If you have a family that enjoys spending time on the water. The current towing capacity of a Compass and the average weight of a kayak means that it can easily tow 2-4 kayaks without any issues.
A Compass can tow a Motorcycle as well, if you are an avid motorcycle rider and want to take your bike out on the road with you. The average weight of a motorcycle is 700 lbs., which means that a Jeep Compass has no problem towing one.
Ways to Improve Jeep Compass Towing Capacity
- Upgrade your Jeep Compass suspension system: Improving your vehicle’s suspension system can help reduce the strain on your vehicle’s engine and transmission, allowing it to tow more weight safely.
- Install a trailer hitch: Adding a trailer hitch to your Jeep Compass will allow you to attach a trailer or other towing equipment, increasing your vehicle’s towing capacity.
- Use a weight-distributing hitch: A weight-distributing hitch redistributes the weight of the trailer across the front and rear of your vehicle, improving stability and increasing your Jeep Compass’ towing capacity.
- Install a transmission cooler: A transmission cooler helps keep your vehicle’s transmission cool while towing, allowing it to handle the added strain of towing more weight.
- Upgrade your tires: Using tires with a higher load rating can help increase your Jeep Compass’ towing capacity by allowing it to safely carry more weight.
- Upgrade your Jeep Compass engine: Installing a more powerful engine can increase your vehicle’s towing capacity by providing more torque and power.
It’s important to note that these modifications may void your vehicle’s warranty or require special insurance coverage. Be sure to consult your Jeep Compass owner’s manual and a trusted mechanic before making any modifications to your vehicle.