Jeeps are one of the best vehicles to find yourself in when you’re hitting the off-road trails, but we all know that on-road is where most of us do most of our day-to-day driving. Your Jeep windshield is important because it protects you from adverse environmental conditions like rain and snow, not to mention providing a barrier between you and oncoming traffic while your JGC is going 60mph down the highway.
A broken windshield is a safety hazard, so there’s no better time than right now to read up on jeep wrangler windshield replacement costs before you break your own.
Do Jeep wrangler windshields crack easily?
Yes, Jeep Wrangler windshields crack easily. In fact, they are notorious for cracking. The number one reason is the lack of a roof. Because there is no roof to keep out the sunlight that causes heat buildup on your windshield, this causes stress on your windshield glass. Another Reason is that bumpy roads cause stress on your windshield glass and will eventually lead to a crack in your glass.
How much do Jeep Wrangler windshields cost?
Jeep Wrangler windshields are not cheap. Expect to pay up to $500 for the glass alone, on top of other parts and labor. Fortunately, the price is sometimes included in the final bill if you use your insurance company’s preferred provider. If you’re thinking of buying a Jeep Wrangler, you should probably be prepared to replace the windshield at some point.
The Wrangler is a compact SUV with a removable hardtop, which can make it vulnerable to leaks and cracks from flying debris or small stones hitting the windshield at highway speed.
On average, it costs about $400 to $500 for the glass alone on a Jeep Wrangler windshield replacement. That doesn’t include installation, which usually costs another $200 or so, although this can vary based on location and whether you go through your insurance company.
The cost of replacing a Jeep Wrangler windshield depends on multiple factors:
- Type of glass and installation process. There are two types of glass for windshields: OEM (original equipment manufacturer) and aftermarket. As expected, OEM glass is generally more expensive than aftermarket glass due to its higher quality and performance standards (e.g., heat/UV resistance). Most shops will offer both options, but they may charge more for installation if you choose OEM.
- Glass coating. The glass can be coated with a transparent film called “primer” or “paint-protecting primer,” which helps keep the glass from chipping and protects it from UV rays that can make it look discolored over time. Applying primer to the glass will increase the cost of replacement.
- Location in the vehicle. Windshields are not all located in the same spot on every vehicle, so the location of your windshield will affect the price of replacement. Front windshields usually cost more than rear windshields because they are larger and are more commonly damaged by rocks and other road debris
Is it better to repair or replace a jeep wrangler windshield?
Replacing a windshield on a jeep isn’t just about the work — it’s about the cost. A replacement can be expensive, and that may cause you to consider repairing it instead. Repairing a jeep wrangler windshield is sometimes possible, but that depends on the type of damage involved. It can be more affordable than replacing a windshield, but only if you have a small chip or crack that can be filled in.
The most common problem with car windshields is when they become chipped or cracked. If this happens to your jeep, there are a few considerations to make before deciding whether to repair or replace the glass:
- Jeep windshield replacement cost
- Whether the damage can be repaired
- Is there any distortion?
The windshield is an essential part of your jeep’s operation and safety systems, so it’s important to get both repairs and replacements done properly.
How do I protect my Jeep windshield?
The best way to protect your Jeep windshield is to install a Jeep windshield sunshade. The sunshade will act as a shield to keep your Jeep windshield in excellent condition. In addition, if you have a soft top, the sunshade can also provide extra protection from UV rays and excessive heat. The Jeep windshield sunshade is easy to install and can be removed when not needed.
The sunshade will block the damaging UV rays from the sun, which can cause damage and cracks on your Jeep windshield. The sunshade is also lightweight and easy to store when not in use. Another benefit of using a Jeep windshield sunshade is that it helps prevent glare from the sun.
The windshield of a car is an important component as far as safety is concerned. It should be sturdy, properly positioned and highly resistant to heat and cold. A crack or break on this component can render the car unsafe for one to drive with. Such a condition may not only cause accidents; it can also affect the health of the driver and passengers through the cracks. In such situations, it is best to consult an expert for advice on how to fix or buy a new windshield replacement.